October 16, 2008

Modest Make-Up?

I got this post from http://aponderingheart.com/. It is really great! It is so sad to see just how many young people that cover up their natural beauty.





Modest Make-Up?
Is there such a thing as modest make-up? Should we have standards for that as well? If so what are they and how do we determine what we wear?
The Bible does speak on make-up, though I didn’t really know of it until just the other day. Mother Dear read the entire chapter of Jeremiah 4 aloud to us, which speaks to and about Israel and Judah - how they’ve turned away from God and how they follow after the heathen ways. When you get down to verse 30 you find mention of the painting of the face, and it makes me wonder if this means makeup.
“30And when thou art spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; thy lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life.”
I find myself, lately, asking “is this acceptable because it’s holy and pure, or because I was raised with it?” Another verse I hadn’t really thought about in terms of makeup was 1 Timothy 2:9 where it speaks about not being made-up in broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array. Perhaps wearing make-up fits right into this as well?
I myself believe that depending on how you wear and for what reasons will determine if it fits in with the above verses and if it is shamefaced. I don’t agree with anyone under 15 wearing make-up, for a few reasons, and I get confused when I see young Christian ladies wearing make-up extensively. Or fashion photos posted on modest-clothing sites with the models completely covered in dark makeup.
When I say extensively I mean more than is necessary, such as eyeliner, eye-shadow, mascara, lipstick/gloss, lip-liner, or blush. Wearing those cosmetics make you look unnatural and immodest. You are much prettier, if anything, without all of that artificial beauty the world has come up with.
I believe make-up is to enhance your natural beauty, and not to cover anything up. I believe you only need to wear the basics, which are simply foundation and powder. Both of these products neither cover-up or “make-up” your face in an immodest way, but enhance your natural beauty and protect your skin.
When
Amanda and I were 15 and 16 Mother Dear decided we could wear the basics just to cover up small blemishes and to protect our skin. To this day the only thing I wear is the basics. However, after a little discussion with Mother Dear, I also wear blush as I am quite pale, though you can hardly tell. Usually my makeup is completely gone after several hours because I barely put any on and it is not a big concern of mine to look made up. I only wear it to cover up blemishes, and I spend less than five-minutes doing so.
Honestly, you should hardly be able to tell you even wear make-up it should look so natural, and if it doesn’t you need to reevaluate why you’re wearing the make-up at all. I am still pondering whether the makeup I wear would be consider the painting of the face or not, and then I shall go from there with what the Lord leads me. However, I wanted to encourage you in this area to consider if your makeup is modest.
Christ calls us to be set a part from the world, that includes how they look and dress. Just because our culture says it’s alright for ladies as young as 9yo to wear makeup, extensively, doesn’t mean we should.
Challenge: If you wear any kind of makeup take a before and after photo and see if your makeup is modest or not. *This was written to young ladies.





Blessings!

No comments: